03.21.08

The Prophet’s Birth

Posted in Islam at 1:29 pm by Haider

I wrote the following poem as a tribute to Prophet Muhammad (peace be on him and his family) to commemorate his birth.

But before you read the poem, I should explain that it was written according to how I personally see the Prophet, and what he means to me. It’s not intended to be a tribute to the Prophet, according to how others understand him. Otherwise, some of the verses will be untrue.

My Lord I ask you for your aid, and my words to lift,
In honour of your greatest treasure and most precious gift
A gift that lit the world and graced the lives of those on earth
And I take this time to say these words in tribute on his birth.

He’s the one who called us to the belief in God the one
And whosoever embraces God has most truly won.

He’s the one who shattered for us the statues we would dread
And how the idols do exist, but only in our head.

He’s the one who showed us that knowledge is our light
And ignorance, the darkness, is the source of our plight.

He’s the one who placed his trust in the use of reason
And to abandon it was, to him, the worst form of treason.

He’s the one who told us that we must discard superstition
And never to adopt our beliefs out of custom and tradition.

He’s the one who God has sent in order to reform
Our moral code for us to live in upright, human, form.

He’s the one who made us see the harms of our sins
And taught us that our blind desires is where it all begins.

He’s the one who broke the chains of slavery to man,
And taught us that we’re all born free, according to God’s plan.

He’s the one who set for us an example of how to be
And taught us how to live in honour, and with human dignity.

He’s the one who dared not judge by blood or by breed,
And taught us that we’re only known by our word and deed.

He’s the one who made us stop fighting against each other,
And taught us that we’re family, and to respect our dear brother.

The Prophet of Mercy and the Messenger of Peace,
He’s Muhammad, God’s beloved, and His Masterpiece!

10 Comments »

1. Ali P said,

March 21, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Mashallah, great poem!

2. mohammad alkazemi said,

March 21, 2008 at 11:39 pm

Genius ending, by the way Shiekh Abdullah conveys his salam i just read your masterpiece to him and he loved it. Mashallah its just like the one for ghadeer the ending was of galactic proportions. May Allah bless you

3. Haider said,

March 22, 2008 at 8:08 am

Ali P & Mohammad, thank you for your feedback. I’m glad you liked the poem :)

4. A Fils for Your Thoughts » A Commentary on the Prophet’s Birth Poem said,

March 22, 2008 at 11:31 am

[...] is nothing that I would hate more than for my poem on the Prophet’s birth to be read as an empty propaganda piece. One of the things I strongly criticise about Muslims is [...]

5. Computerchi said,

March 23, 2008 at 10:02 am

Nice job. Well said.

I don’t know about “galactic proportions”, but keep up the good work.

6. Haider said,

March 23, 2008 at 10:58 am

7. Ibnrowh said,

March 24, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Humanity came to know true civilization by means of the Prophet Muhammad, upon him and his household be peace and blessings, and favored it. All efforts exerted after him for the sake of true civilization have been no more than practicing or trying to practice the principles he brought and adjusting them to new conditions. For this reason, he deserves to be called the founder of true civilization. It was the Prophet Muhammad, upon him and his household be peace and blessings, who rejected indolence and the lazy and esteemed labor as a mode of worship and applauded the hard-working. He directed his followers to horizons beyond the age in which they lived and taught them how they could be the element of balance in the world. The Prophet Muhammad, upon him and his household be peace and blessings, is unequalled in that he appeared as a sword of valor and eloquence against unbelief and savagery of the Jahiliya and the ignorance in the world. He proclaimed the truth with the clearest voice and showed mankind the ways to true existence. If there is ever a person whom ignorance, unbelief and brutality hate the most, it is Muhammad, upon him and his household be peace and blessings. Those who search for truth and thirst for true knowledge eventually will seek him out and embrace his path. It was the Prophet Muhammad, upon him and his household be peace and blessings, who proclaimed true freedom to humanity, and ingrained in human consciousness that all human beings are equal before the law. He established that superiority lies in virtue, piety, and morality. He regarded proclaiming the truth against all oppressors and oppressive thought as a kind of worship. Muhammad, upon him and his household be peace and blessings, called upon us to protect religion, life, reason, property and the integrity of family and lineage, and to strive for this purpose. In a remarkably balanced way, he proclaimed that no other duty could equal this struggle. Muhammad, upon him and his household be peace and blessings, unveiled the transitory nature of this world and death, and showed the grave to be a waiting room opening onto the realm of eternal happiness. He led every heart seeking happiness, regardless of place or time, to the fountain of Khadr, and enabled them to drink the elixir of immortality. Congragulations on the birth of the beloved Messenger of Allah, and the perfect human being. Your poem is wonderful!

8. Haider said,

March 25, 2008 at 9:32 am

Dear ibnrowh,

I’m glad you enjoyed the poem, and thank you for your comment.

I, personally, wouldn’t dismiss the contributions to civilization that came before the Prophet (peace be on him and his family), and while Islam had an important role in the development of civilization, I certainly wouldn’t attribute all the contributions that came after Islam to originate from Islam itself.

I’ll be dealing with these issues in future posts, so keep coming back!

9. Nawal said,

May 5, 2008 at 5:16 am

Salaam 7aidar,
    All i could say is WOW
    You brought tears to my eyes, Very impressive cousin
    God bless

10. Haider said,

May 5, 2008 at 7:13 am

Salaam Nawal,

Thanks :)

It brought a tear to my eyes while I was writing it. But then I couldn’t see what I was writing.. so I had to wait until I was done..